Bimala Devkota, PhD
Nepal Climate Change Knowledge Management Center (NCCKMC) has been created by a collaborative effort of Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) and Ministry of Environment (MoE). The Center is set-up under the expanded processs of National Adaptation Program of Action (NAPA) in Nepal (2008-2010), which was supported by DANIDA, UK DFID, GEF and UNDP Nepal.
To establish a strong and effective knowledge management centre which will ensure the production and dissemination of climate change knowledge information in the country, strengthen the capacity of various stakeholders by providing them with the required information to respond to challenges posed by climate change.
To serve as a dedicated institutional arrangement for managing climate change knowledge in Nepal.
To serve as a platform for coordinating and facilitating the regular generation, management, exchange and dissemination of climate- related knowledge and capacity building services to a multi- stakeholder climate change community of practice in Nepal.
- To enhance public access to climate change and related information in order to build their capacities to address the challenges posed by climate change.
- To strengthen collaborative and inter- disciplinary climate change research in Nepal.
- To facilitate interface between scientific research and policymaking, decision making processes and development planning.
- Conduct an inventory of available collection at the climate change resources centers.
- Coordinate with a network of climate change knowledge providers and users.
- Organize learning events that encourage knowledge sharing and awareness raising.
- Popularize and /or translate materials/ documents into local language.
- Develop focal points for climate change.
- Providing clearing house service for climate change related research and dissemination.
- Build capacity of different institutions professionals through training/ workshop/ research grants/ fellowship visiting experts program etc.
- Regular update new research to address knowledge gap.
- Provide advisory services for policy and development planning.
- Organize workshop, forums and other interaction program.
- Facilitate access to climate change related data and information on climate change.
- Climate Change Knowledge Collection and Management
The center has the collection of more than 1800 books, journals and reports. The meta-data preparation of the collection is under process which would be made available online soon.
a.Climate Change Quiz Book for high school students (In Nepali)
b.Collection of Fundamental Information on Climate Change (In Nepali)
c.Understanding Climate Change in Nepal (In English)
- Climate Change Risk Reduction through Awareness Campaigns
The center completed mobile library campaigns for climate change awareness and climate change risk management in more than 40 districts of Nepal. The campaign's activities include:
a.Inter School Climate Change Quiz Competition
b.Posters Display and Documentary Show
c.Interaction between Experts, Teachers and Students
d.Panel discussion on Local FM Radios
e.Interaction with Policy Makers and Stakeholders at Local Level
4.1 Climate Change Knowledge and Research Grant Management, In Partnership with Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4.2 Strengthening NCCKMC Project, In Coordination with Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN)
4.3 Development and Dissemination of Climate Risk Management Toolkits and IEC Materials for National and Sub National Stakeholders (CC/DRM Focal Points), Media and Communities Including Students, In Coordination with United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
4.4 Establishment of NCCKMC in Partnership with Ministry of Environment (The Then) as an Expanded Program of National Adaptation Program of Action (NAPA)
1. Ms. Jaishree Sijapati, Chief, Faculty of Science
2. Dr. Bimala Devkota, Senior Scientific Officer
3. Mr. Pawan Kumar Neupane, Scientific Officer
4. Mr. Shrawan Giri, Office Assistant
4. Mr. Shrawan Giri, Office Assistant